Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Anders & I are sick again damnit!

So, I've been listening to these albums,

The Flaming Lips-Embryonic- It's like they used to sound before the amazing Soft Bulletin. Back then I thought they were shitty and careening. I still do actually. However, this album is rocking and dark and now they know how to sculpt the rock. OMG The Flaming Lips are the sculptors of the rock community...

Vic Chesnutt-North Star Deserter-He has a more recent album called In The Cut recorded with the same Montreal Constellation crew but I think I prefer this release (excepting the two typical Godspeed start soft, get loud, sound boring moments) What does it sound like? Fucking Vic Chesnutt, that's what. He writes really good folky, country songs that are believable, what more do you want?

The Very Best-Warm Heart of Africa-The team of Radioclit and Esau Mwamwaya are The Very Best and they make awesome Afric-Brit music. Last year they released an album of other artists songs, remixing them and adding vocals by Esau, then released it for free on the interweb. This is their new album of originals with guest vocals by M.I.A. and Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend. So far, so good.

The XX-S/T- The debut full length from this new British band who play mid-tempo dance music with shimmery guitars, sweet beats and male/female vocal trading. I've read some comparisons to Young Marble Giants but I think that's a stretch. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it's not adventurous enough, lyrically or musically and I've yet to listen to the whole album beginning to end without distraction, on the other hand I'm always happy when it comes up in the mix. Miles of style can be obfuscating, but time will out. Saoirse said it's boring. She could be right. Their show in Berlin is sold out.

Taken By Trees-East of Eden-Second album from Swedish singer Victoria Bergsmann (formerly of the Concretes, recognizable as the female lead on Peter Bjorn and John's hit song Young Folks). The stereotype of female singers from Sweden is that there is a tendency towards vocals soft and sweet and Victoria holds true to this, but like many musicians lately she's added an international flavour to her folky folk as well as some more upbeat tempos. From what I've read she recorded the album in Pakistan and it shows. Sometimes a little too directly but I forgive her.

Karl Blau-Zebra-Basically, every album from Karl gets better and better as he explores the various inspirations and influences of dub and african, melding them to his positive west coast washington state vibrations. Dig it. I do.

Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion-This is a near perfect album and if they would have let me edit out Daily Routine and Guy's Eyes it would be perfect. But that's just my opinion. What I can say without a doubt is that this is the first album of theirs since Sung Tongs where the songs are stuck in my head for days and that means something.

Wax Mannequin-Saxon-At first I wasn't into this album like Chris' previous releases and I'm not sure why. It certainly isn't for lack of great songs, or the production, or the playing, all of which are consistently excellent. I guess that in the past there was a bit of pushing things over the top to represent and now it seems he's comfortable and confident with making great records. Now I love it like my brother. Lucky for him.

This is why it's important to remember that opinions are not the truth. This happened to me with Martin Tielli's first solo album, We Didn't Even Suspect That He Was The Poppy Salesman. Initially I blew it off as I was used to a certain immediacy from his songs and it took a while for the album to reveal itself to me, or maybe for me to open myself to it. Either way it's one of my favourite albums and I return to it again and again. So should you.

Man Man-Rabbit Habbits-I've had this album for a while but not gotten around to listening to it much. Now I can say it's worth picking up and if you hear anyone say, yah it's sooo good, you'll have me to back them up. They're great musicians and play eclectic rock music with a lot of variety to keep you excited. Yay! Excitement!

As an aside, when No Kids were on tour with Dirty Projectors we arrived in Philadelphia and the DP's were playing a sold out show with Man Man for the release of Rabbit Habbits while we played across town to no one at Johnny Brenda's with a band I recall being named Fresh Cut Salad...

Speaking of Dirty Projectors, with the release of Bitte Orca, they have not only made THE album of 2009 but have seriously made me re-consider the point of making music at all. I just wrote three paragraphs of gushy goop lauding this album and then erased it. I will only say that I love love love it and that's that.

Mount Eerie-Wind's Poem-My favourite Mount Eerie album yet, from top to bottom and side to side.

Pink Mountaintops-Outside Love-I took a chance and bought this even though I hadn't heard it which is rare these days. I wasn't so into the last album Axis of Evol, too dirgy for my headspace. This rocks like the first PM album, with a nice blend of The Stooges, Black Sabbath and a dash of love, (the feeling not the band).

Erykah Badu-New Amerykah Part 1-I never really got into the neo soul movement that she was lumped into so until this album I have ignored Erykah Badu. Not anymore, this album is pure and stark and simple and feels like she has taken leave of her senses in favour of taking the reins of her creativity, for the better of all of us.

Bill Callahan's new release Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle is the first album I've ever bought from an artist that has been releasing critically praised albums since the late 80's but I've never quite gotten it like others have. For me this is the one. From the beginning to the end of this beautifully arranged album I believe him.

Thee Oh Sees-Help!-Perfect garage rock album from past label mates of ours. I highly recommend seeing them live as they are meant to be. Also, they put a shitload of effort into their artwork, the vinyl comes in bubblegum pink!

Cryptacize-Mythomania-I'm always so happy when the people I know make great music, and they are just getting better with each release. Poppy, folky, freaky. Whoo hoo.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart-S/T-Sounds like late 80's early 90's shoegazer, Yo La Tengo wannabe's. I want to dislike it but it's so fucking good. Kudos.

Though I don't think it stands as tall as Writer's Block, I recommend picking up Living Thing by Peter Bjorn and John. I love pop music, they make great pop music, it's a Swedish thing...

Fever Ray-S/T-Sounds like The Knife. It's Karin of The Knife. If you enjoy listening to The Knife like I do then you'll like Fever Ray. It's pretty easy.

Lastly, Camera Obscura's new album My Maudlin Career boasts arrangements by Bjorn Yttling of PB&J, though I think they probably could have come up with them on their own. On the other hand this is the only album I've bought of theirs so maybe I'm wrong. Girl group pop music delivered Scottish style by bored and icy voiced Tracyanne Campbell. Almost as good as Gigi...

2 comments:

  1. Have you given jj a chance yet or did I scare you off with my description?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, i'm listening to it right now and on first listen i'm loving it. thanks for the tip.

    xo j

    ReplyDelete