Saturday, October 3, 2009

Der Riesen und der Komische Oper.

Yesterday Veda, Anders, Rosanna and I made our way to the Lustgarten to see Day 1 of Royal Deluxe, Der Riesen Kommen, (the giants are coming). Royal Deluxe is a french marionette company that operate giant marionettes through the streets of various cities around the world in different situations and costumes and here in Berlin the little girl is reuniting with her uncle after being separated for many years. He emerges from the Spree river in an old school diving suit while she travels along the streets and at various times walks, cycles and rides in a boat. After wandering about the zentrum of Berlin eventually the two will meet up at Brandenburg Gate. I believe she has some letters in a satchel to deliver to him but don't quote me on that. There was a band following her on a travelling platform playing bluesy rock music with some turntable scratching and vocals every so often and at first I told Veda I wanted that job but soon changed my mind as the music kind of sucked badly and I would be embarrassed to have to play it. It's bewildering as it seems so much time and effort is put into the marionettes and their slow lifelike movements that they would put so little into the accompanying music. Better to have none at all I think...

I miss my band. They're awesome, and as I write they are on a long tour in the United States with Mount Eerie, Tara Jane O' Neil and Karl Blau. The last show we played together was at the Commodore Ballroom with Peter Bjorn & John just before we flew to Berlin and I must admit it felt very powerful, I felt on top of the world as they say, but now it seems a long time ago and Nick and Julia are very distant. Certainly as this is the first time they have gone on tour as No Kids without me (with Phil of Mount Eerie sitting in on drums) and I must admit I'm envious. It's not as if I'm unaware of how one's sense of self is intrinsically linked to the work they do or the art they create so it makes sense that I would be feeling this way as I'm not carpenting or playing music. Where am I going with this? Veda and I went to see Der Komische Oper production of Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate with our new pals Manfred and Amanda (super awesome fun fun people), and after the show I was reminded of times in New York that No Kids went to see theatre productions with our friend Mo. I think you would have enjoyed it Nick and Julia, it was very o.t.t. How o.t.t.? Many a glitter costume to spare and a twenty seven piece orchestra stage right that was really something. They were wearing fez's! Even if I didn't enjoy the show (which I did, for the record) it was worth attending for Cole Porter in German and the super band (and of course the post show pretzel. Ha Ha...)

Maybe I just need a day out on my own.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks G. I miss you too, thanks for checking in on me. I'm going to have a nice bike ride today methinks...

    xo j

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about traveling that can make you lose your sense of self, sometimes. I recommend small creative endeavors. :)

    xo
    quinne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quinne quinne quinnedy quinne. Thanks for the advice lady, I'm definitely keeping busy to the best of my ability...

    xo j

    ReplyDelete
  4. super awesome that your hanging with super awesome Manfred and Amanda. mi

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish we were hanging with them more but we've been busy and anders has been sick so quarantine..uh...

    xo j

    ReplyDelete