Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dream

I knew it would happen eventually.

2 nights ago I had a dream in which I was standing on a sheet of ice in the north. Nearby there were elephants crossing the ice when the largest of the elephants fell through into the ocean. In my dream this elephant couldn't swim but maybe all elephants can't swim, in dreams or in reality. I guess I never really thought about it much. It made many attempts to crawl back on to the ice sheet but due to its weight kept cracking the ice and falling back into the water. The elephant did not drown. Eventually the ice stopped cracking and was thick enough to support its weight and it continued on its way. At this point in the dream Veda had appeared beside me, or perhaps she was always there and I just didn't notice her. Also at this point, the ice we were standing on developed a crack due to the struggle of the elephant and unable to avoid it, we fell into the ocean.

After the initial shock of the fall I wasn't concerned for our safety despite being in icy ocean waters. We started to swim back to the ice sheet when I realized Veda's toiletries bag was floating nearby. For some reason it seemed important not to lose this bag but when I plucked it from the water's surface all the contents emptied out and slowly sank into the depths. Before it was too late I managed to collect most of the items from the bag and with one arm continued to swim in the direction of the ice sheet where Veda was waiting. Unfortunately, before I could avoid it a wave crested against me and I couldn't hold on to the toiletries and swim at the same time.

I watched as each item sank out of sight.


Huh.

5 comments:

  1. Cool! Elephants can swim! They love to wallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually didn't say that. it was doug. but i think i did see some national geographic thing where they do swim. but usually in warm, non-icy waters. wow though, what a seemingly meaningful dream! my art therapist would be all over this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it isn't actually veda who comments. it's j. is anyone who they say they are on the interweb?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a comment test from an ANONYMOUS WIFE.

    ReplyDelete