Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fahrrad saga...

Loree is gone, Kim Barlow is gone, Michelle is gone. I have no idea where the Gatzaenkers are. Seriously, they left Berlin like one million years ago and haven't heard from them. I can only hope they are happily lost in the mountains somewhere in Germany and that it's a good sign they are being quiet...

Anders turned one year old on September 23rd and we spent the day hanging loose as a goose. No pressure, a little shopping, a little sleeping, a little birthday pie and video of pie. When Daniel gets home we'll get him to smallify the video so I can post it. Blogger has fascist size restrictions. Why can't the Blogger program accept a post and adjust the size accordingly? It makes no sense.

There have been inquiries about whether my bike is up and running. Here's the scoop. I removed the tire and took it in for a new tube with no problem, and in fact saved myself twenty euro by just bringing the tire in on its own. Unfortunately, in the process of removing the tire I screwed up the back fender which led to it falling off at two in the morning when Kim Barlow and I were coming back from seeing my pals the Dirty Projectors at Festsaal Kreuzberg. They were amazing (it's kind of gross how consistently good they are even when I know they are sick or suffering from strained throats...) Merrill Garbus aka tUnE-YaRdS, made for a great double bill as she was equally impressive. I hate describing music but tribal ukelele vocal freakout are words that come to mind, her performance style is o.t.t. and riveting to watch so see her if you can and judge for yourself. She certainly had the Berlin audience in the palm of her hand. I spoke with Angel of D.P.'s before the show and was hoping to hang a bit with them afterwards but instead decided to accompany Kim Barlow back to Madame Claude's where she went to see Eugene Chadbourne play. As it turns out, somebody locked their bike to hers so she left it behind but fortunately was free by the time we arrived. It was after all this that my fender fell off as we were cycling along the canal. Oh! The other thing that happened in the bike saga was the locking bolt for the left side crank arm snapped and I had to ride around for a few days keeping the crank arm on the crank with my foot in a stiffly awkward pedaling position in order to keep it from falling off. I have since replaced the bolt but I'm starting to think the universe is telling me something...also, K.B. and I saw a fox cross the street under a streetlamp to great affect...
really, we were affected...

Yesterday, Veda, Anders and I spent the afternoon cycling about the Tiergarten bathed in the most exceptional light of day, shaded woods and crisp autumn breeze. Japanese tourists took photos of Anders and I in front of the Siegessaule monument, and as we cycled it seemed every turn revealed some amazing architecture, interesting shop, park or playground. We ended the day with a last dinner with Michelle before she flew to Basel. She came bearing gifts of wooden car and balloon for Anders who liked them very much. (For those who don't know her, you are missing out cuz Michelle is the bomb.)









Also also, Today is our nine year wedding anniversary. How inconvenient to be right after Anders' birthday, overshadowing as it is but Veda was kind enough to remind me and my response was that my preference is celebrating every ten years...she is so forgiving.

The brief respite we're having between guests is great but I can honestly say we miss all our guests and soon Rosanna will arrive to fill the space, then off to Denmark for a visit to the North Sea. Yay!

Still in wonderment, ich liebe Berlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment